Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ever wonder what it is I do?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Smurfed

Smurfed

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-08-16

Ever wonder what it is I do? Empty
PostSubject: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 am

Well some of you may have noticed my absence in the MMO department lately. Most of this is due to me being busy in the real world an not really having the time to sink into anything too time consuming right now...

Another reason is that I've gone back to playing an old online FPS that I've been playing for a long while now. It's called Urban Terror, a game originally designed for Linux that's kind of like CS running on the Q3 engine. It's old (like 7 years old or whatever), but it's fun. I don't normally play FPS games, but this one I like...

After all, I do hold the number one spot on my server. Well, another player and I do jostle for the position, but I had a nice 15000 point lead (which is a lot... took him like 3 months to catch up) before I started sinking time into MMOs again with Requiem and such. But now it's pretty even, with only a few hundred points between us at any given time

So, I don't think I'll be playing MMOs a lot until I can get another huge lead up again. But with rounds like this, it shouldn't take too long... >.>
Back to top Go down
Smurfed

Smurfed

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Got an interesting offer from the people who run the game servers a few hours ago too...

I'll cut out the flim flam and just quote the meat...

Quote :
(snip)

As you may or may not know, we have been canvassing users for new admins, and as you may or may not know, your name has come up as a possibility.

(snip)

Much of your time not in server would revolve around dealing with trouble makers and cheats, as well as ban appeals and other general server stuff. The admin IRC channel also is linked into #gamesonnet so when someone uses the !admin command, a message pops up in the admin channels which I'd then expect you to look into ASAP.

(snip)
with the growth of GON, we have a lot of behind the scenes stuff happening that needs to remain that way. Hence we ask all admins to sign a non disclosure agreement. Are you happy to sign? Following that, it means we need to know that you are also over 18.

If you are interested, let me know, and we'll discuss it further.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sláine

Long story short, I've been given an offer to be an administrator for UrT...

Don't know if I want to take them up on it or not though. I play the game for fun... Not for work.

But... I'm gonna think about it, write back, and see what progresses from there
Back to top Go down
ephinyus

ephinyus

Female Number of posts : 360

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 9:52 pm

That's so awesome Smurfed! And every gamers dream ....
You should so totally do it! I know you play for fun, but you
still could play on your time off... you wouldn't be playing and
working at the same time anyway, so it would be different.
Congratulations on the job offer hun!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ephinyus
BleedForMe

BleedForMe

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 7:03 pm

idk sounds alot like free work to me lol
Back to top Go down
ephinyus

ephinyus

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Smurfed, any updates for us on this?

Last edited by ephinyus on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smurfed

Smurfed

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Not really... Still trying to weigh it up

Well word has gotten around on the servers that I could be one if I so choose, so at least people listen to me or whatever xP
Back to top Go down
Smurfed

Smurfed

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 am

Well, I decided to go for it.

Still waiting for things to get rolling, but in a little while I'll be an administrator for my ISP's game servers... =D
Back to top Go down
ephinyus

ephinyus

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Right on Smurfed! Go get 'em!
Back to top Go down
BleedForMe

BleedForMe

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 10:01 pm

Congrats !hmmm may sound like a dumb question but what game is it that your talkin about?
Back to top Go down
Smurfed

Smurfed

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 4:53 am

Urban Terror (UrT for short)

It's an old first person shooter based on the quake 3 engine. It was originally designed for Linux not long after q3 came out or so... So while the graphics may be somewhat out dated, the gameplay is fast and furious...

And even though it's a Linux game, there is a Windows version availale. But seriously, why bother with that? Linux beats Windows any day of the week Wink

But yeah, I'm an in-game moderator on the two servers that my ISP hosts for UrT, as well as a blanket moderator on their website forums...

So for the meanwhile, I'll be focusig my attention on that for a while. Plus playing Sacred 2 for the time being...
Back to top Go down
AwakeningFire

AwakeningFire

Female Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 5:19 pm

I think but i'm not sure i'd have to ask him... But i think that might be the first person shooter my brother dives his life into.
Back to top Go down
http://awakeningfire.blogspot.com/
Smurfed

Smurfed

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 pm

I used to play it for like an hour or two after work a few days a week to unwind. And before I knew it, I had gotten pretty good an taken the top spot on my server... xP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever wonder what it is I do?   Ever wonder what it is I do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ever wonder what it is I do?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Purgatory Open Forum :: Bullshit & Spam-
Jump to: